What is your attitude towards writer’s block? If it hasn’t been serving you well in making progress with your writing, it’s time to reconsider it and maybe, replace it with any of following attitude of the masters:
1.Who faces writer’s block? Only writers fond of coming up with excuses for not writing. .
“There’s no such thing as writer’s block. That was invented by people in California who couldn’t write.”
― Terry Pratchett
2. If your motivation to write is super strong, writer’s block beats a retreat. If you badly want to write and the stakes are high, writer’s block will not find its way into your dictionary. Always keep reminding yourself of your motivation to write and writer’s block will take a hike.
“Authors with a mortgage never get writer’s block.” – Mavis Cheek
3) If your writing isn’t flowing, don’t panic and say you’re suffering from writer’s block. And don’t stress yourself out taking the demon head on. Allow time for the ‘condition’ to pass, like a common cold. It has passed before and it will.
“Sometimes I don’t write for weeks. And then all of the sudden I’ll get a rush of inspiration and you can’t drag me away from my notebook. But I don’t stress out if I don’t hit some arbitrary word count each day or if I go a few days without writing something.”
― Julie Ann Dawson
4) This is the quickest way to beat writer’s block, if you dare try it.
“I haven’t had writer’s block. I think it’s because my process involves writing very badly.”
― Jennifer Egan
Yes, it takes courage to write badly.
5) Be disrespectful. Ignore Writer’s block completely. Treat it like a housefly circling you desk. Swat it or ignore it and continue working.
“I don’t sit around waiting for passion to strike me. I keep working steadily, because I believe it is our privilege as humans to keep making things. Most of all, I keep working because I trust that creativity is always trying to find me, even when I have lost sight of it.”
― Elizabeth Gilbert, Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
6) Who gave you the permission to write well on your first attempt? You write as well as you can and forget the rest.
“It’s not the fear of writing that blocks people, it’s the fear of not writing well.”
― Scott Berkun
Over to you. Try to redefine your thoughts on writer’s block by looking at more quotes on writer’s block from writers who have made it.