This post will show you the steps to enable and disable the Chrome PDF viewer.
Sometimes you don’t want to install a dedicated PDF viewer on your computer.
You may already have known that you can use the Chrome browser to open PDF files. But how do you get it to open a PDF file?
Here are the steps to follow.
First, let’s see why you would want to enable and disable the Chrome PDF viewer.
Why Enable Chrome PDF Viewer?
- You want to quickly open PDFs. If you want to quickly scan and read a PDF, using the Chrome PDF viewer is convenient.
- You don’t want to automatically download a PDF file when you click on a link.
- You don’t want to edit the PDF. You just want open, read and maybe print it.
- You don’t want to install a separate PDF viewer program.
Why Disable Chrome PDF Viewer?
- You want to download and save PDF files when you open them with Chrome.
- You don’t want to view the PDF files first before saving them.
- You want to use a separate PDF viewer program to open and edit a PDF file.
Steps to Enable and Disable Chrome PDF Viewer
Step 1 – Click on the 3 vertical dots on a Chrome browser page. Then select Settings.
Step 2 – Select Privacy and security.
Step 3 – Select Site settings.
Step 4 – Click on Additional permissions dropdown arrow.
Step 5 – Scroll down to Additional content settings. Click on the dropdown arrow.
Step 6 – Select PDF documents.
Step 7 – Choose Open PDFs in Chrome.
Choosing this option will open a PDF when you click a link that contains a PDF.
If you don’t want to open PDFs in Chrome, select the Download PDFs option.
Go ahead and give the steps a try.